Wednesday, December 28, 2022

The Triple Header

 So last night was TCM's annual day commemorating the National Film Registry, airing five of the new additions to the list.  I had a haircut and missed the first ("Charade") and didn't stay up for the last (the 1950 Cyrano was Jose Ferrer) but I trust they are easy to find.  I stayed up to watch three others, in order:

"Titicut Follies," a documentary by Kenneth Wiseman (I think this is his fourth on the list) about a mental asylum in Massachusetts in the sixties, basically a commentary on the bleak conditions there.  I don't doubt that is the case, of course -- then and now -- but I think recent events show that we cannot have these people on the streets, either.  (801)

"Super Fly," the 1972 blaxploitation film about a drug dealer looking for one last score to get out of the business.  I liked it -- the ending was a bit much, and nowadays the treatment of women would not fly (well, maybe not), but who doesn't like someone trying to take it to the man?  (802)

"Word is Out:  Stories of Some of Our Lives," a 1977 documentary about the lives of LGBT people.  As this was 1977, I can see how the film was culturally significant, though... it was a little long.  

Anyways, I woke up nice and early today to take out the rubbish...and my garage door is off on one of its rollers.  Sigh.  This is not the worst thing -- assuming I can actually get the car out -- but of course it is annoying (at least the weather will be better) and we all know how I love paying bills.

One advantage of the long and only moderately interesting documentaries was that I was able to get some reading some, and I was able to finish book 50, which was A Campaign of Giants:  The Battle for Petersburg.  Unbeknownst to me, it is the first book of a planned trilogy (it went to the Crater) so I will have to read the next (when done), like I need another 500 pages... of course, I do.  Anyways, I intend to plow through 50, on to 51...

...but I do need to start cleaning closets and going through things.  I was poking around in one cabinet, and I suspect a lot of the stuff in it could be...reorganized, at the very least.  I could do it, as it takes nothing but time, but then of course I think I could be doing something else, and there is always time later, which is sort of true, but not really...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home