Spotty
Another pause in blogging. Thursday and Friday night were the usual; I went to bed semi-early, laid in bed a bit, coughing and not sleeping, then falling asleep somehow and waking up with low blood sugar. Sigh. I am feeling slightly better each day, and coughing slightly less. Slightly, and not quickly enough. Oi.
Saturday was OC day. We had enough volunteers, and the crowd was 140, but we were all beat after service. Not sure why -- the weather was fine, people mostly ok. There was a shortage of strapping males so I spent 90% of my time in the garage bagging, which was more than fine; you really can do a lot more with 3 or 4 instead of 2 or 3 -- picking up boxes, restocking stuff, running the cart with full bags to the front, etc. But dragging we were at the end. Rah.
Then it was off to the gym, and then my triumphal return to the St. Casimir Polish Festival (our sister parish). It was... good not great? First, they use those food tickets, and I just hate those, for many stated reasons. The grub was ok; the chicken was good but cold, the beets were hot and out of a jar. Better were the cabbage and noodles and the kremovskie dessert. The church is nice; not St. Stan's nice, but pretty enough. The clerestory windows are a bit high and a bit small; you need to really crane to see what they are. The altar and apse are well-done, to be sure. Not sure I would go back.
Today we had Mass for my grandparents on dad's side and my aunt, two cousins, and a cousin-in-law arrived. I think I will move it up next year; a lot of my cousins do stuff on weekends, and switching the time with Mass for my other grandparent...well, might be worth of try. Then breakfast, gym, and home for paperwork and some work. Rah.
I am using my hot spot as my modem. Yesterday -- literally when I got home -- I went to fire up the Wi-fi, but my neighbor was weedwhacking down by the telephone pole, and I suspect he nicked it, as I have not had a signal since then. Oi. The tech will come later in the week, and I will survive, despite it being a little choppy at times.
Ted Williams, Satchel Paige and the fight to induct Negro Leaguers into baseball’s Hall of Fame | Baseball | The Guardian
Interesting article, and I think this is 100%, in that only Ted Williams could have pulled this off. Now with the advances in historical statistical work, we can get a sense of how good Negro League players were, but back then....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home