Saturday, July 15, 2017

Fatigue

Work was interesting, and it will be more so next week...alas.  I am about half-way through The Evangelicals, and it is quite good.  I didn't know that the Bakkers did puppet shows, of all things...right now I am in Reagan's second term, and the rise of Pat Robertson and the relative decline of Jerry Falwell... interesting, in many ways, the various sects and how each of them reacted to the change in American society in the 60s and 70s.

As for myself, I am ok...just very tired.  I can feel it all over me.  Not sure why, though I suspect it is just a lack of caffeine and the cumulative effects of poor sleep quality.


http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/sandwich-david-brooks-culture-class/
There's been a lot of talk about this, and while it is easy to mock Brooks, and I think he should get a bit here... I am not sure he is all that wrong, either; I think his point that much of the US has NOT seen an improvement in their economic situation - and hence feels left behind - is correct, and that is why you see Trump, amid other things.  How shall I say this...in the 90s you saw a mass entrance of Starbucks onto the American scene, and times were such that people had the money to spend $5 on coffee...and broaden their palates, if you will.  Now... well, it just isn't there.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/12/15956742/colorado-marijuana-taxes-schools

I've always thought this is the one reason for legalizing it; not that it wouldn't cause a host of other issues, but this increase in taxes/decrease of cash in the underground economy could be put to some use, even though with all government spending, it goes to the teats, and not the milk...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home