Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Light in August

http://money.msn.com/now/blog--red-robin-ad-doesnt-go-down-well-with-vegetarians

I always get a kick out of stories like this; I mean, I can see how some people would be miffed, but, let's face it, part of being an adult is growing up and taking a joke.  One wonders why the people on the other side do not get upset and form protest groups, etc...prolly the same reason why the Tea Party took decades to manifest; most of the people on the other side have jobs, families, important activities, and lives, and thus do not have time -- or interest -- to confront the petty disparities of life.

I see Chisenhall is back...some nice ABs, no hits.  Alas.  Longwell was shipped out, not deservedly, but...at least the benchless bench is no more.  In the meantime, Vinnie Pestano serves as Exhibit A to those who think that closers are made, not born, as he struggled yet again in the ninth.  I really think that the whole thing is bs -- pitch when called upon -- but, for better or worse, there are plenty of guys who cannot do in the ninth what they can do in any other inning.  The Royals failed to get a bunt down, which will also send jitters down the sabremetrically inclined.

I am reading Faulkner's Light in August, the 54th best novel of the last century.  Actually, it's not bad; I think I expected something awful, like long paragraph/sentences and meanderings in which a basic story is purposefully entwined, and while there is some of that, it's also a fairly interesting tale.  It deals quite a bit with what I will call -- until fairly recently, I guess -- Southern themes, which makes it more interesting, sort of like how silent film is a picture of an era completely gone and totally lost to use, except for those choice bits that remain.  For the first time in several books, I am actually looking forward to reading the thing through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home