Sunday, September 29, 2013

Achievement

Well, well, the Tribe did it and are now in the playoffs...I guess I am surprised that they won out -- even among crappy teams -- and to top it off, are starting Salazar in the playoff game; reminds me of the Rays a couple of years ago, when they started Matt Moore and ran him out there for as long as they could to get Ks and put the other team in the hole for the first game of a Division Series.  I sort of like the move, especially because you can't start Ubaldo and Kazmir on short rest and Masterson isn't ready yet.  The rest of the rotation...eh. 

Yesterday was OC duty...I spend very little time with the clients; actually, we had a LOT of volunteers, so I spend most of the first half of the shift doing makework tasks, like finding plastic bags (we are dangerously low) and taking trash to the dumpsters...then, some of the volunteers left, and I ended up in the food room, bagging away with reckless abandon.  We opened early, and there was a good size line, and people sort of trucked in all day...so I was surprised that when we ran the final tally, it ended up with 159, which is pretty high, all things considered.  The shelves are fairly bare, we have a large order coming in...the orderer is concerned with price.  I am too, but of course, no one seems to consider that we can just order less and be done.

I finished up Miller this weekend -- thank God -- and also read Hayhurst's Out of My League, which was pretty awesome; to be sure, it's about baseball, and a tale of a fringe major leaguer trying to stay on in the Show, so I had no doubt I wouldn't enjoy it, but you just kept pulling for him, and I was glad when he finally made it.  I note the next fiction book on the list is something from D.H. Lawrence, so I expect something as smutty as Tropic of Cancer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home