Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thrice around


Yes, I know...no blogs.  I should have...but with the World Series, movie-watching, and a desire to get to bed before 11 (not that I said sleep) every night...well, there you are.  As some of you know, I watched "Cabaret" last nite; it was a double, but a fairly crappy one.  I know I am not into musicals, but it was...too much for myself.

There's been a trend lately, if you watch baseball, in that a lot of starters really fall apart the third time through the lineup; Peavy has had that problem, which is odd, because for most of his career he has been a fairly decent pitcher.  Now, I know we are in the era of the pen, but I wonder if maybe, just maybe, the next thing will be for pitchers to start throwing more pitch types -- but rotating them -- to further confuse hitters.  I mean, most guys have a repertoire of three or four pitches (Bauer has six, which mystifies people), but maybe you need to go back to 4 or 5 or more to further befuddle hitters.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2014/10/cleveland_indians_expected_to_3.html#incart_river

I don't know; he is versatile, but I tend to see him as a guy you like less as you see him more; the fact that he was in the corner OF spots at all speaks to the crazy notion of the nine-man bullpen, injuries, and the poor level of OF depth in the organization, and not Aviles' versatility.  I'd like to think you could fine someone to do what he did (say, Jose Ramirez) for a lot less.  The team could use another starter -- look at what happened to last year's number one, for instance -- and if we are going to have 58 relievers...why not a good one?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/10/22/mcdonald_s_and_wages_is_the_company_planning_to_replace_its_cashiers_with.html

I mentioned this a while back...which is why I flagged it.  I suspect they wouldn't, but they could...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home