Monday, September 29, 2014

Recovery

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/09/gov-mccrory-nc-needs-fewer-journalists-196151.html

I like the guy...

http://www.newgeography.com/content/004528-why-suburbia-irks-some-conservatives

I think one issue is that for many people -- especially on the right -- suburbia is fairly insular, in that people keep to themselves and to their families, and thus (this is Bowling Alone) don't get involved in neighbors/churches/communities, which is primarily a conservative view, in that people are active at the local level in solving problems and such.  Anomie, if you will.  This is right, though I've said that suburbia came from the crowded urban conditions of my grandparents' generation; people lived close, in duplexes often, with their families nearby.  As they became more successful...they wanted space.

Anyways, spent the weekend in Columbus for Josh's wedding...very nice, very raucous.  Not much rest.   If I ever get married...I will try to get by in as few pictures as possible.  The bride is Greek, so there was some good grub and pastry.  Columbus, like Cleveland, has become fairly developed downtown; lots of new stuff since I was there last.  I think this is good...but all those residences mean less commercial space, and I am not sure people are cognizant of the tax ramifications...not that it cannot be changed, but this is often the last adjustment made...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home