Monday, September 08, 2014

Flicks

So, I've been watching films from the National Historic Film Registry...first was "Duck Soup," the Marx Brothers film.  On the one hand, it was pretty funny, gag-wise; but it also had a dated feel, mainly because (I suspect) much of the physical comedy -- which was imperative in the Vaudeville Era -- is simply gone, and thus largely beyond the scope of our experience.  Not that it wasn't funny, but now...our films have a lot less of it; look at say, "Airplane!" or the Leslie Nielsen films; they have less, compared to what is done now...I think it has more effect that way.

To be sure, it was not as dated as "Pups is Pups," which was a Little Rascals skit from the 1930s or so...whoa.  I mean, now people would cringe at the obvious stereotypes (which is the only reason there was such a multicultural cast) and, I realize I am hard-hearted and NOT one for kids, but... the thing wasn't that funny, anyways.

I also watched "Steamboat Willie" (sort of cute) and the footage from the 190^ SF Earthquake (more the aftermath); I suspect nowadays, with war and devastation a click away, it's not biggie, but in 1906...well, I am sure it was pretty stark for people to see...which makes it historically and culturally significant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home