Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Black Pirate

Crossed another movie off the list today; "The Black Pirate," a 1926 silent starring Douglas Fairbanks.  The version I had shipped in was a VHS copy, colorized, from a French copy dug up from God-knows-where.  The coloration was fairly decent, and while the film quality was a little choppy, it wasn't awful.  And I liked the thing; it was a little unrealistic and not very historical, but you could see how the Errol Flynn/swashbuckler films (which happened basically a decade later) were inspired.

I also finished The Acceptance World and will now be reading Bloody Roads South, which is about the Spotsylvania campaign.  I intend to wait a few days (but not many, I guess; Xmas is soon) to read this one before ordering the next installment of Powell and some films for the next few weeks.  It has been hard to find time to read, save for blocks I carved out, lately, and this will prolly continue until Xmas, given work/the OC/family duties.  Alas, alack; such is adulthood.

I still think the GOP committed an error by passing the spending bill now, instead of waiting until they had both houses of Congress.  I mean, I can see how a bit of "domestic tranquility" works but they also surrendered quite a bit of leverage -- about the immigration bit, and other things -- by not waiting.  Of course, maybe not everyone views this as an unending war...like some people around here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home