Sunday, December 07, 2014

All out

I see the long state nightmare is over...I honestly don't see it, but...well, I suspect they got the matchups they wanted, if nothing else.  I was thinking about this last night while recovering from low blood sugar...the real way to go about this is to have a March Madness-style bracket, with every conference champion ranked and playing against each other.  To be sure, you'd have a lot of MAC and Sun Belt teams losing to Alabama by 70...but one of these days, of course, they won't, and that is when people would complain.  But on further review, the answer is...because the big schools and the power conferences make so much more money this way.  The NCAA gets the bulk of the value from the Tournament in hoops, but in football, it is the teams and the conferences where the dollars get made.  Thus, while an early exit from March Madness sucks...it is not a killer, whereas...the minute Alabama/OSU falls out of the CFB "playoff," there go the Benjamins, especially should a first round upset occur.

I watched three films on the National Film Registry this weekend.  First was "Anotnia:  A Portrait of the Woman," which concerned the life and story of one of the first female conductors.  Interesting.  Second was "Tootsie," which I had not seen before.  I sort of liked it; I mean, I expected some screwball comedy, but it was more than that.  Third was "Big Business," a Laurel and Hardy silent short, which was sort of amusing all things told.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home