Monday, April 13, 2015

Flicks

Sort of been on a film kick lately...I've watched:

"Back to the Future."  It was ok; I mean, I thought it was cute and funny, but not that cute and funny, and for all of the people who told me this was the greatest film ever...oi.

"The Blood of Jesus:"  A 1941 film...entirely African-American.  The plot was nothing special, but I did like its historical sense, and it was unique in how it displayed life at the time for African-Americans.

"The Blue Bird:"  1918.  Silent...portrayed as a family film; sort of preachy; basically, kids go on trip to find ideal bluebird, learn to discover their own inner beauty.  The special effects were pretty cool.  I also note the films of the time had a huge interest in dream sequences; interesting...

"Pillow Talk:"  It was on AMC last nite; I actually liked it.  Not hilariously funny, but dry and understated in the Matt sense.

Tonite was "Baby Face" starring Barbara Stanwyck as a girl who literally sleeps her way to the top.  You could tell the ending was grafted on to meet the early Hayes Code types...very frank in its view of s-e-x, which was not unknown for a film of that time.  John Wayne is in it with a bit part, which was an added kick.

Rah...up to 278; still think I can make 300 by the birthday.  I've been trying to read Fragile by Design, which is interesting, but it is not exactly something you can just pop off...despite my best efforts.

I am glad that the Tribe had an off day...I am amused by the hem-hawing on the radio about Marcum; on the one hand, a guy coming off 18 months of rehab is nothing to phone home about, but on the other...well, considering the last two guys in the rotation, I can see how he may have decided that this team was one where he could stick around...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home