Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Novels

The trainer really worked my arms today; either I am still behind (true) or I am just working harder (also true), but it was sore.  To be sure, I can see and feel some improvement; at least now that I have my own vehicle, I can get there more often and do some more machine work or some cardio...I think I need to be in shape, in general, and that means more of such stuff like that.  Actually, with the weather improving, I should get out and take some walks.  I am not saying that 30 minutes of a stroll around the block is the same as 30 on the treadmill, but if I did it at least on the weekends...well, it wouldn't hurt.

I am reading Co. Aytch, the Civil War memories of Sam Watkins.  It is quite good -- it is his reminisces as a private two decades later, but quite interesting, at least describing the role of the private.  Been trying to read more of those books lately, which is not that hard, given the literacy of the armies and the fact that modern censorship of war (both WWs) was non-existent.

 I was sad to see the news about Gavin Floyd, but was not surprised.  I liked him with the Phillies; good curve, good fastball, decent control (not the best park for a curveballer) but it is a shame the injury bug has hit him.  Ditto for Walters; I mean, I am not sure where they will play him (being able to play everywhere is not the same as doing so) and the Ks trouble me, but he has some power.  In the meantime, he is on the shelf, which sucks, not that we would not be spared a steady diet of Mike Aviles.  Back to the rotation, I hope for good things, but I can easily see regression for Kluber/Carrasco/Bauer or, God forbid, all three.  The rest of the candidates...well, Salazar may get the nod because of the heat.  Tomlin would be next, given his stuff doesn't play well out of the 'pen.  I think McAllister has pitched himself to the pen/swingman given his fading tendencies.  I think Chen is, well, insurance, but we all know how Terry loves his veterans, so I can see him getting starts -- and not emergency ones -- in August.

I did get a kick out of the women's bracket yesterday; the world was aflutter with how Princeton -- undefeated -- got an 8 seed, which means they get to play a 1 if they survive.  I think I lean with the side of playing a tougher nonconference schedule (not that the Men's committee seems to think that); that said, 31-0 is 31-0, and you'd think that someone along the way could have put them somewhere more...favorable, especially since it seems that in the women's game...there is a greater level of talent disparity between the top teams and everyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home