Monday, March 02, 2015

Equality

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/title-ix-was-great-for-female-athletes-and-terrible-for-female-coaches/2012/07/26/gJQAAFK1BX_story.html

I read this a few days ago...on foxsports; basically, the above link makes the points I would have made, but I think it leaves out one minor point...one reason why men didn't take coaching jobs at the beginning was because they didn't pay enough to support a family...whereas, I think, many of the women who were coaching (at first) didn't have families...if you get my drift...and thus could afford to live on one salary.  Once salaries -- thanx to Title IX -- were raised, men could support their families on the salaries, and thus applied for the jobs.  To be sure...it is sort of unfair, but...the laws of economics are funny that way.  I suspect some of it is old-boy things, but I also wonder how much of this is fear of lawsuits over discrimination due to gender/sexual practice; you can always fire a white guy carte blanche, but anyone else...

I crossed two more flicks off the list; one was the "The Music Man," which was a musical and a highly maudlin one.  The other was "The Last Picture Show," which is also on the AFI Top 100 list.  The movie had a lot of stars...but honestly, I thought it was just ok.  It was...just another story, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home