Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Links

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/7/18/15958214/age-of-white-christian-america-over

I found this to be timely, as I finished up The Evangelicals over the weekend.  I mean, in some ways the book is dated, as the dreams of Evangelical supremacy (in a conservative sense) are over; except for perhaps school choice (which, per the book, seemed to agitate much of the movement) is gone forever.  Part of the problem -- in retrospect it seems obvious -- is that the politics shifted so quickly to the GOP and only in the South; it delivered a block of votes in one part of the US at the cost of another.  Not sure anyone on their side knows what to do or how to solve it.  I've always said a full withdrawl is an idea, but everything -- schools, charity, funding of crap, you name it, to say...well, we've done our fair share, now it is your turn...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dont-blame-trump-for-republican-healthcare-woes/article/2628671

I disagree; the President HAD to be out there on this -- mobilizing his voters, pressuring recalcitrants, etc.  I mean, that is ONE big problem with the man; the general disengagement from politics.  I know he was not a politician, but he is one now, and this is a huge hit to the GOP everywhere, no doubt about it.  I think the RINO wing will suffer more -- getting primaried is an effective way to solve the problem -- but it also means people may lose in the general.  I suspect, though, that a lot of GOPers would say it is the same thing, and they would not often be wrong.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/jeff-sessions-wants-police-to-take-more-cash-from-american-citizens/ar-BBECcJm?li=BBnb7Kz
This hardly sounds...Republican; I mean, yes, it is good to take cash from real criminals, but most people on the GOP are coming to the conclusion that real criminals are seldom affected...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/catholic-nuns-in-pa-build-a-chapel-to-block-the-path-of-a-gas-pipeline-planned-for-their-property/ar-BBEyPAt?li=BBnbcA1

This could be me, but isn't forcing people to use heating oil or coal, instead of clean natural gas, a sin against the environment?  I think a big dump of heating oil on their front lawn would be wondrous..

Watching the Tribe blow today's game was extremely impressive -- a total collapse by the pen and the defense.  Seeing other teams make moves...well, I always say the team that goes first gets the best deals, and so far...we are not exactly making a move at all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home