Monday, March 26, 2018

Devolutions...

Watched UCONN beat the living shit out of South Carolina tonight in the women's game; I have to admit, after last year, I figured that Geno would have the tomahawks out, and he did... I am not sure that anyone is really surprised, though.  I also watched "The Goonies" last nite -- up to 637 on the film list.  I liked it, but... yes, seeing it at 30-something is not the same as seeing it at 10.  Honestly, the fat kid was a little annoying, and I know this is a kids' movie, but the characters were a little flat.  At least I recognized Josh Brolin as the kid's big brother...

I do get a kick out of vox, so...
https://www.vox.com/world/2018/3/26/17144166/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life

This could be me, but one thing I think is happening is that white men -- deplorable or not -- are continually told that diversity is a good thing, and that it is good for them, and... well, it's not, at least in the economic sense that matters.  Seeing their jobs disappear, other people getting ahead, etc...  well, it naturally creates some... discomfort.  Now, I've yet to see any politico give a Bartlett-style speech where they explain that yes, white men have disproportionately benefited since day one, and that has to change... but more to the point, if anyone explained how women and minorities getting ahead (or, more accurately, equal) without just asserting its truth... it might help.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/3/21/17147398/rural-cities-gun-laws-control-culture-war-nra-second-amendment-parkland-shootings
Oh, I don't know; we used to have this, but now, of course, iiberals and Democrats have diverged; I always use the example of Ohio's own Vern Riffe, who knew his coalition relied on the people of, say, Appalachia and the PSRCH; Dems had to toe the line on the economics, but on social issues, you were on your own, so to speak, to win your district.  Nowadays, of course (and this is true on both sides), we just can't have that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home