Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Penultimate

We are on the cusp of baseball here, and guarded optimism reigns...ok, sort of.  I mean, the rotation is pretty solid; Josh Tomlin would be a #3 on many teams.  The infield is also quite good; again, if Alonso is the worst guy of the 4...  I view the hot bats at catcher as spring mirages, but they can field, which counts for something.  The OF is...well, ok enough, and the back end of the pen will be a garbage fire, but...that is the sort of thing you can fix.   More of less.

Watched "The Tall T" last night to get to 638 on the NFR.  I liked it, being a noir-ish western.  You know, it's funny... Randolph Scott -- the lead -- had pretty much the same career as John Wayne -- lots of Westerns, a smattering of other films, same masculine presence, very much the good guy, a man with a code... yet no one remembers him, while the Duke was, well, the Duke.  Both were Republicans; Scott also had the benefit of having served in the war, albeit World Ware One.  Scott was a little older, and he retired in 1960, while John Wayne made many more films after that...  I wonder; I suspect it might be because the Duke had iconic roles (as well as clunkers) while Scott had...well, more basic parts; no "The Searchers" from him (but no "Barbarian and the Geisha," either).  I've seen about a dozen Scott films (NFR list and others) and... I guess they are sort of interchangeable.  Still, it is a shame that Scott is gone from the memory, as he certainly was a star in his own right, and many of his later films -- such as "The Tall T" -- are quite solid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/us/politics/trump-judges-courts-administrative-state.html?emc=edit_th_180328&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=310602670328

This could be me, but...a lot of GOPers and conservatives has been preaching this for a while (I am shocked that the NYT would be unaware) so... I am not sure that this is a thing; I mean, I think it is good, and overdue, but...

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/25/17159732/maureen-dowd-monica-lewinsky-metoo-barry-diller-interview-new-york-times

This could be me, but everyone on the left, it seemed, smeared Monica and Linda and everyone back then, so...1)Where was this 20 years ago and 2) It seems a little rich...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home