Friday, July 01, 2022

Earthquakes

 I was off today -- mostly; caught up on some stuff, slept in a bit, answered some emails... also went and paid the property taxes, always amusing on Independence Day weekend (especially those Cuyahoga County ones).  I went to the mall to pick up some books -- finally got the Coach K bio -- and then did a gym double (but only one cardio; low blood sugar, oi).  I weighed in at under 192 pounds today, which sort of surprised me.  I mean, I have been snacking less -- save for some ice cream -- but I have been eating lots of fish and veggies, which is most of it.  Might do some walking around this weekend, just to burn a few more...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-remains-of-thomas-jefferson-11656687364?mod=hp_listb_pos3

Interesting take; largely correct, too, I think.  I do think we have to come to terms with this issue, and... one thing people tend to forget was that -- prior to 1790, say -- slavery was not exactly unprofitable, but also...well, many slaveowners (including Jefferson and Washington) had plans to get out of the business, if you will; Washington freed his slaves (on death) and others did as well.  I don't think the slaveowners in 1789 would have agreed to end the importation of slaves if they had thought it was still a good investment.  Now, I don't think they wanted it go away (fully), but one could argue that they saw it going there (eventually).  Then the cotton gin was invented, and... all bets were off.

So, the college football world is ablaze with the big news about the Big Ten expansion...  I don't know, maybe this is me, but aside from the LA media market... what are they adding?  Two football teams that have been mediocre lately; maybe Lincoln Riley might move the needle some... men's hoops adds UCLA and USC, which is a historic area and some decent teams, but.. the Pac-10 has been down lately, there.  Not sure what else, aside from travel time and a devalued Rose Bowl.  Maybe if they add more schools, but... how the hell do you arrange them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home