Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Musings

 I had planned on hitting the gym this morning, as I was supposed to dine with a friend tonight.  But, a friend texted me with some personal issues, so I talked to him and sorted that out.  By that time it was too late to hit the gym, so I decided to clean the bathroom (it was overdue) and started the day.  Of course, my friend canceled dinner plans, so... alas.  I was amused.  At least the bathroom was clean and I lifted hard this evening.  Low blood sugar meant no cardio...not so good.  Alas.  

https://www.pragcap.com/the-feds-policy-mistake-has-been-made/

I think this is exactly correct, and for all the talk of Biden and Yellen screwing this up (should we be surprised?), the actions of Powell and the Fed are also an issue... my own answer would be that they screwed up -- not on purpose, but because they were concerned about the errors of the recovery of the last recession.  Course, then the issue was that growth was not fast enough.... now, growth has been quite fast, albeit from a steep drop.  Certainly, they saw that -- people who could spend did so, and while they were concerned about those who were suffering... well, I can't imagine that the poor and working poor are thriving now.

I can't help but think that the Browns stories -- the need for a billion dollars for a new stadium and the Deshaun Watson new accusers (and settlements) -- are closely linked on purpose.  I mean, I think the deal will go through -- people love the Browns, you know -- but not as many of them now, and certainly it will be asked (maybe even by the PD) that if they can spent a quarter of a billion on a guy who might not play (to say nothing of his legal issues), they can spend a billion of their own money.  Ha!

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/06/27/can-ron-desantis-displace-donald-trump-as-the-gops-combatant-in-chief

I hope so!  Ok, more seriously, one can tell that people are concerned if the New Yorker is running pieces on the guy.   I am surprised any GOPer actually talked to them, but...people are always looking forward to grinding axes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/us/politics/pence-trump-jan6-hearings.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20220621&instance_id=64579&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=31060267&segment_id=96318&user_id=f914b0e213c5e2b4265494b6d07fe88f

Interesting.  I also wonder how Pence will run this.  I am not sure nowadays that there is a path for more moderates -- and Pence sort of is one nowadays -- to run.  This isn't a bad thing, as it does clear out the RINOs (not in the Greitens way; can't wait for someone to run an ad discussing his legal issues).  But with the party moving rightward, if you will, I am not sure Pence can win just on the dwindling (but still important) Christian wing of the party.  In some ways that is the genius of DeSantis; he has the support of the Trump-lite group, and his culture warring will attract the Bible voters as well.   Of course, he will have to beat Trump, and if you try to kill the king...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home