Sunday, June 05, 2022

Travels and travails

 So, Friday I went to Michigan for my godson David's First Communion; being the godfather, it sort of behooves one to go.  And it was...fine?  I am sure the boy (if not his parents) appreciated the generous but standard (to me) gift, and it was good to see the children again.  Getting out of dodge for a day is always nice, and a night in a hotel was...fine.  The only issue was getting home... in Michigan, they close ALL the entrance ramps to a highway for like 10 miles, so I ended up -- at $4.79 a gallon, no less -- having to travel 36 miles to go 12.  I don't ever want to hear about my carbon footprint after that one.  

I was supposed to go to New Mexico for a week of in-person stuff with my new job; however, that has been postponed for a bit due to some positive changes that will call for me to do a bit more work; this is fine, as I told my supervisor, as not only do I not have to fly, but I have more time to do the work I was supposed to do (instead of losing two travel days), to say nothing of getting this other stuff lined up.  I should cowboy up and get used to flying, but... 

https://twitter.com/JDVance1/status/1532560383092957186?s=20&t=V9az1lgCioKl4sVwgH47eA--

This is exactly correct; it used to be far easier to put people away for being mentally ill; then, of course, the 70s rolled along, the ACLU and other libtards got involved, and now these people are everywhere but where they need to be.  I wonder now if we could roll some of that back; of course, it would be even better if the ACLU and its types could be sued and have to pay for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/01/opinion/republicans-religion-conservatism.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20220602&instance_id=62943&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=31060267&segment_id=93962&user_id=f914b0e213c5e2b4265494b6d07fe88f

This could be me, but... I don't think necessarily think this is a bad thing.  Indeed, I think the religious right would gain more wins if they receded from the background.  Take, for instance, the latest pushback against the pushback to things like "Don't Say Gay." I would think that a lot of people would be annoyed by the religious right, but people are more upset by teachers telling their eight-year-olds about drag and sexuality...as they should be.  And it's not like the Christian right would be opposed to the goals of the new, diverse, GOP majority...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home