Thursday, May 19, 2022

Football follies

 Crashed hard last night, so no post today...well, until now.  Funny; I didn't really want to go out -- it was in Northfield (I know), not drinking (fatness), had shit to do...but a friend was in town and he wanted to get away from his parents, so...and, of course, it was quite nice -- just two friends having beverages for a couple of hours.  I am like that a lot, and I prolly should stop.

Interesting stuff from the world of college football...one, the OSU extensions; I stumbled on to sports radio, and you would have thought Chris Holtzman should be tried and condemned.  I guess I am not sold on it -- yes, he should reach a Sweet Sixteen once in a while -- but as I have pointed out here before, he tends only to lose to better teams, and there is no shame in that.  So I can see why people are irate, but...keeping him here and happy is probably better.

Then, of course, there was Nick Saban complaining about A&M buying players.  He is probably right, of course, but I would LOVE to see someone -- anyone -- ask a coach about how they flip jobs, make millions of dollars, etc.; followed by why it is ok for them to do that but not a player.  

Next is the demise of college football divisions; the Pac-12 -- trying to be relevant -- is the first to go, and I am sure the rest of the Power 5 is considering it.  I don't know; yes, conferences in the old days chose their bowl representative (when there were six of them), so this is a reversion to the mean.  And you would get the better teams in the big games.  On the other hand...the nice thing about college football is that you literally have to run the table to be in consideration for the (not yet extended) playoff; that's sort of the whole point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home