Thursday, May 19, 2022

Thoughts

 So, continuing my new trend of technical catastrophes...my TV died.  Yes, the one I bought in August (of 2021).  I turned it on at lunch to check the weather, and it looks...well, nothing.  I reset the cable and such, but it did nothing, which leads me to believe it is the TV.  So tomorrow I get to call Best Buy and see what the next steps are.  Not that I need the TV -- don't watch much -- but I need this like a hole in my head...

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2022/05/in-recent-years-growing-number-of.html

https://www.outkick.com/woke-medical-experts-call-obesity-concerns-racist/

I don't know; I obsess about this, and the boys and I often discuss this as well... I mean, this is one of the easiest ways to improve one's health; it's not like we just figured this out, either... having excess weight is not good... so when people say we should ignore this -- especially when they are of the so-called party of science... all I can is no.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/james-m-buchanan-the-political-economy-of-debt-financing-ch2.pdf

Speaking of the boys, one of them sent me this a couple of days ago, and I was laughing.  Not that it is wrong, but.. we were discussing the failure of the Biden Presidency, and they were making the inevitable Jimmy Carter comparison.  Being the natural contrarian, I opined that James Buchanan was the more apt comparison...in addition to their being the oldest President elected (at the time)... both were heralded as figures who could unify the country and transcend the political differences of the time.  And, of course, both threw gasoline on the fire(s).  Indeed, both of them had domestic and foreign policy screwups; neither could suppress the radical fringes propelling their parties to disaster.  Now, will Biden unify GOPers enough in the way Lincoln did?  Not sure...

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/05/18/adam-serwers-take-on-the-politics-of-roe-leaves-out-a-few-things-n470424

I don't know...can't it be both?  I mean, the thing about letting the Supremes decide the issue was that it literally threw it in the face of the people.  I guess you can say it taught the Religious Right about the need to have political power to attain their goals... the group that really believed in rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's really had to adjust on the fly... back then, of course, they could, and I think that now, even, in that corner of the world... it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home