Sunday, June 19, 2022

Mom is Spinning in the Urn

 Three days without a post... hmm.  Ok, it is understandable; Thursday was Pub Quiz -- we lost, sadly; there was an unfavorable math error by the quizmaster against us (grr!) and one of the rounds...the answers were a little suspect.  Alas.  Friday night I helped one of my friends move (this is the sign of old age; a big night out is moving), which told me that maybe I should trade in the Behemoth for a Mini Cooper.  Yesterday I had a thrilling wedding, which was fine, just long.

Today, of course, was Corpus Christi -- one of my most favorite events of the year.  It was funny; I had EM duty at 8:30 Mass -- choir loft and main floor -- and then I noted that there was no EM for the 10:30 bilingual service...so I asked Fr. E if he needed for that as well....and he said yes.  Odd; usually the proboscht is a bit...restrained, but he was quite nice and cheerful to me today.  Anyways, I had breakfast at the Chimney -- quite good, and not that expensive -- and then after meandering and taking a look at the altars (lovely as always; the Polish ladies outdo themselves every year), back for Mass two.  That was nice -- the instrumentals and pomp are a nice touch, and I was the EM once again.  Fr. E had told me that no one would go to me -- the Polish people like their priests -- and while I only had one person in the pews who needed Communion...I did have plenty of business at the altar.  And... I think I administered more hosts by mouth today than I have...ever.  Polish people do like their old-school ways.  Anyways, then it was back to the choir loft for the singers and musicians and then the procession.  I ended up on speaker-carrying duty (not the worst, not the canopy, though) which was good for the arms.  

Funny; my Mom used to talk about how long the Procession was back in the day -- down 65th, to Broadway, to Fleet, and back, and how everyone had their statues of the Blessed Mothers out and all.  Sadly, those days are gone -- just around the parish property, and the neighborhood is clearly what you call missionary territory -- but it is still good to see all the old trappings going on today; flower children, incense, a train of parishioners, public religion... I realize I feel like Bodie on the corner here, but...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home