Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Call Me Mother Hubbard

 So, The Blues Brothers was on TCM tonight (as my sister noted, it is a classic), and I decided to watch, because, why not?  It's still fricking hilarious!  The mall scene is one of my favorites of all time, and Sr. Mary Stigmata is pretty much every nun I have ever known.  To be sure, I understand some of the cultural references -- the driving scenes like the French Connection, the overreaction by the police, the Illinois Nazis -- but it still holds up.

Mind you, I had a good day as it was... first gym double in a while (lift and legs), and as my blood sugar cooperated, I read and did plenty of cardio, about 70 pages worth, a not unimportant consideration.  Work was fine, clearing stuff off my project list and getting ready for my annual review (my first, technically). Finished up all the leftovers and put away the dishes... I need to clean the stove top off (not sure what happened, honestly) a bit but the fridge looks quite empty, compared to the last few days.  Even emptied the inbox during the musical numbers, impressing myself, if no one else.  The bookmarks are a different story, but tomorrow is another day.

So, one of the things that crossed through the inbox today was an announcement from CSU that they have formed Viking Ventures, a foundation to support NIL funding for the student athletes (I think at CSU it is probably actually true that they are student athletes --like at Duke, of course! -- here, so no air quotes).  Now, I don't know how much they will actually raise -- I don't see that many people getting excited about CSU tennis -- but it is cool that they are trying something, and it certainly sends a message to the athletes that they are... dare I say open for business?  One of my friends' wives suggested that she wouldn't mind having some of the eye candy around doing yardwork, and I in turn suggested that she look for work at Louisville or Iona...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home