Friday, January 13, 2023

Homebound

 Didn't leave the house today.  Maybe I could have, especially after the driveway was plowed (about 4pm) and it seemed the roads were good, or at least good enough.   On the other hand, I did some stuff, worked, had dinner, read a bit (found a reason NOT to do some OC budget work, tsk), and rested.  This is probably wise, as will be my decision to not set the alarm tomorrow.  It is fairly cold, though I guess that is just because it has been so unseasonably warm lately.

I watched an interesting documentary from 2012 tonight:  "Knuckleball," which basically charted the 2011 seasons of Tim Wakefield (his last) and R.A. Dickey, the last two (at that time) active knuckleballers, as well as tales from Charlie Hough, Jim Bouton, Phil Niekro, and other baseball figures.  I love this stuff (or used to), so I even watched most of the bonus tracks, and it was fascinating, watching these guys talk pitching and baseball lives and stuff.  More than three hours, all told; maybe more than I expected to, but it was certainly very entertaining and informative.

https://www.pillarcatholic.com/chaput-speaking-the-truth-is-polarizing/?ref=the-pillar-post-newsletter

Interesting read, certainly as much for what was not said -- and for how some things were phrased -- as what was said.  I always liked Chaput -- have read a couple of his books -- and the Church is weakened by his diminution in its ranks.  Me and my crazy ideas about Catholics being Catholic and such!

One nice thing about this weekend is that I have literally nothing to do.  Save for Mass and the gym (definitely not skipping!) things are completely open.  Much as I am toying with a restaurant visit or some culinary adventure (there are recipes on the restaurant list as well), I am tempted to just stay home, handle some paperwork backlogs (like the food pantry budget) and try to do some damage to the film and book lists.  The tree is doing well, and while some are going down, mine will remain for the present... might even put it on and sit under the glow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home