Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Explosions and implosions

 Didn't post last night, as I was at a goodbye dinner/soiree for a friend -- going back to the Philippines after visiting family and friends for the holidays.  The consensus pick was Omizu in Parma, which was cool, as I have always wanted to try it.  We only ordered sushi, and while it was quite good...let's just say that this morning I was greeted with the equivalent of eating an entire box of Colon Blow, and for much of the day I have been...unsettled.  Equally unsettling was going to my MD for a checkup (I am fine) and he told me he was retiring...so after the next visit, I will need to find a new doctor.  Sigh.  Anyways, I will return to Omizu -- it is on the list of restaurants -- for their cooked food, which hopefully will be less destructive, if you will.

I am fascinated -- for lack of a better term -- by the drama over the House speaker vote.  I am not exactly sure what the anti-McCarthy forces want, or who they want instead.  Not that anyone thinks much of the guy, but he did raise the money to pull just enough of these guys into a win, and... well, that's all we need now.  I would prefer this ends quickly, but...I can see both sides settling into a long one.

https://donsurber.substack.com/p/lets-not-have-world-war-three?r=z8gdh&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Speaking of both sides settling into a long one... I mean, I completely disagree with this, but I also found it to be quite interesting, and, quite honestly, probably closer to the truth of the matter.

A record loss for Duke.  Oi.  This after a win against a meh FSU team and a loss to Wake Forest (who are, let's face it, quite good).  Beating tOSU and Iowa seem to be the only quality wins on the resume right now, and while the ACC season should fix that... not if they don't win any games.  I realize there is a new coach, a new team, etc., but this team has too much talent to have things like this happen.  As always, a sense of winter of discontent.

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/250-years-of-amazing-grace/

Quite good -- an interesting read and some interesting renditions of one of my favorite hymns.  Also, I have not watched the movie in quite a while, which I should rectify, even if there are not other things to do, like watch movies I have not seen and read some of the 49 other books (I finished #1) I want to this year.

https://fee.org/articles/mmt-is-dead-it-must-now-be-buried-for-good/

This, like most liberal inventions, does not -- and will not die -- even if you put the stake in the heart and the garlic in the mouth.  Alas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home