Thursday, January 05, 2023

Musings

 Early blogging today -- no reason, save for the fact that I want to try and get to bed somewhat early, I need the rest, I guess, and I am feeling it.  Productive, too -- work, lifted at the gym, came home, and then finished the laundry pile.  I should be conquering the dish pile, though I might take a good 20 minutes or so and just read before bed, which, let's face it, needs to be done if I want to get through 50 this year (there are some thick ones in the pile).  I know some movies I ordered are in at the library, and for some, you just cannot multitask.

Two fascinating stories from the world of sports...ok, one and a half.  First, the allegations -- ok, not really, he doesn't deny them -- that Team USA soccer coach kicked his gf (now wife) when they were 18.  This allegation is not pleasant, to be sure, but given that it was 30 years ago and they seem to have worked it out... well, that's something.  Also...the allegation came to light because the coach got in front of it, as the mother of one of the US players (called out by said coach for lack of conditioning, or something) was threatening to divulge it.  Who doesn't love a good bit of blackmail?  Now, to be sure, much of this is kvetching about the supposedly poor performance by Team USA in the World Cup, and some of this is revenge, but... I am vastly amused.

On to real sports... Texas fired men's hoops coach Chris Beard (he was on leave) after allegations (since recanted by his fiancee) that he assaulted her in a confrontation.  Now... to be sure, the allegations are quite severe, but if they are recanted...  Also, the police are still investigating, and charges are pending.  Dare I say this is a Trevor Bauer case?  I mean, what if NO charges are filed?  No assault?  He can see them to get his job back (or a hunk of the money)?  They'll settle of course, but... to me, and I have said this before, I am not sure I like the idea of firing something before they are found guilty; not very American, if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home