Sunday, January 08, 2023

My Pyx Runneth Over

 Busy -- and long -- day yesterday, hence the bloglessness.  I slept in (sort of) and took a long-delayed trip to Akron to visit our food pantry there, the Fr. Hilkert Center, attached to Visitation of Mary parish (sadly, I was NOT able to see the church itself).  In some ways, the area and the crowd reminded me of Slavic Village, which was soon confirmed by talking to the volunteers there.  Anyways, like every other place I visit, I was impressed by the space they have -- they inherited an old parish building, so they converted it, with plenty of basement storage (sigh!) and space for...well, space.  A whole office for registering people (they are in-person), a nice space for shelves of canned freezers, spacious clothing room, plenty of volunteers; hell, even shelving built by Eagle Scouts as part of their projects.  They don't seem to serve as many people as we do, but it was a good look around.  Akron, at least the parts I traveled through, has a lot of hills; can't imagine getting through there in snow-snow.

I got in late yesterday, and am feeling it today, sort of; almost nodded off after lunch, but coffee and some walking around helped.  Today at Mass we had a full affair -- musical accompaniment, blessing of the chalk for the consecration of homes, and the official announcement of our parish's 150th anniversary (how I avoided duty on that committee is the Christmas miracle!).  I had to take ten (ten!) hosts up the choir loft; how I got them in the pyx without breaking any, or closing it, is also a Christmas miracle.  Anyways...you know, Mass was just...nice.  Church still decorated, decent homily, bit long, but the pomp and circumstance is good.  Then it was off to the gym and some extra cardio (three minutes for now; between the fatness and reading, I figure it's not the worst idea).  And home.

https://www.city-journal.org/the-quiet-right-movement?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Organic_Social

Interesting; I hope it lasts, for one, and it becomes...mainstream?

https://aeon.co/essays/the-first-americans-a-story-of-wonderful-uncertain-science

This is...cool?  I think we all know I love stuff like this, and quite frankly I think science would be better served by less fighting and more looking -- either way -- for sites and evidence of the first peoples, where they came from, and what they did when they finally arrived.  But that is just me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home