Saturday, December 30, 2023

Make up

 So, I had wanted to post last night, but I fell asleep.  By which I mean, I nodded off on the floor of the living room (lights on, etc.) and when I woke up it was... 6:15.  (Think of the carbon emissions!)  I should gotten up and gone to the gym, but I felt a little tired, so I laid back down on the floor (shutting off the lights first!) and slept in til 8.  I did need the rest, but...  yes, it was odd.  I have to admit, I didn't have any ill effects on my back or anything; I guess it is quite comfortable.  Hell, it is probably warmer!

Anyways, there was much to discuss yesterday.  First, the game.  I don't think anyone expected having to use the third QB there, and that clearly affected things, but... this could be me, but a lot of the play calling was highly suspect.  All those screen passes -- don't they rely on timing and reps?  Why try them -- and they NEVER worked -- so often with a guy who barely practiced?  Similarly, how often did the left side blitzer race in, unguarded, and blow up the pass play?  I would have liked if someone had asked Ryan Day if he was trying to use the 4th QB.  I guess I can sort of see limiting the playbook, but... hasn't he been watching and learning all year?  Shouldn't he know the plays?  I mean, I think it was obvious the defense was exhausted, having been on the field so long, and that affected things late, but...

Do I think Day should be fired?  No... I mean, 56-8 is impressive, and yes the losses are the big games, but... most schools would kill for 11-2 every year.  Plus, last year the D was a problem and he fixed it.  I think the O-Line was more of a problem than the QB -- though they may go portal now -- and I would believe that that is the sort of thing that can be fixed.  Hell, Harbaugh will be in the NFL next year, and that problem might take care of itself.  :)

The other big news was Mike DeWine's veto of the transgender bill.  I am not sure what the end game is here.  Does he really believe it is an overreach?  Then say so!  I mean, this is probably his last job ever (given his age) so it is not as if he can use this as a springboard to some sort of RINO-like career.  Another thought that has came to me is that 1) The GOP in the state legislature has the votes to overturn this and 2) DeWine knows this, so the result is that he can veto it -- earning the props of the MSNBC class -- and then let the actual Republicans do their thing.  Or, another variation -- the GOP will try to overturn the veto and fail (there are a lot of Tom Patton types out there) and everyone can get what they wanted.  I just wonder what it will take for the supermajorities in the State House to say "fuck this" and go to war (if you will) with the governor.  Now, they don't quite have the votes for that, but... they could make his life miserable for a while.  And, in some ways, they should.

I am about two-thirds of the way through Going Infinite (the Michael Lewis book about SBF and FTX).  Two main points.... one, SBF is clearly on the autism spectrum, but it never seemed to be brought up at trial, or...anywhere?  I would think it might have played some role, even if to drum up sympathy.  Two... reading about the culture and the decisions that were made (if you will), how could anyone who worked there have taken anything seriously?  I just don't see it.  Quite odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home