Thursday, December 14, 2023

Listing

 Last night I was tired and decided to just lay down on the bed while I read some stuff online.  In retrospect, this was... an unwise choice, as I promptly fell asleep and woke up at 3:45 needing to go to the bathroom, shut off the lights, and change my CGM.  Alas.  I guess, as I so often do, that I needed the rest, but...  today I felt it.  I mean, I was... fine, but a half-step off, if you will.  I came home, had dinner, caught up on J! (I had a dinner meeting at Carrabba's, which was fine but long), and settled in for a night of TCM.  Because...

National Film Registry Unveils 25 Films Added For 2023 – Deadline
This came out yesterday, and tonight they have the Librarian of Congress talking about the films and the airing of some of them.  I have only seen a few on the list, and I just watched "The Wedding Banquet" (821), which was... meh.  I mean, I can see how it is culturally significant, but as a film... well, it was just predictable and not that exciting.  In some ways I think this push for representation has simply added crappy films to the list.  Alas; there used to be such excitement when the list came out -- what I had seen, what I hadn't, what I missed.  Now... it seems like they are checking boxes.

When the New York Times lost its way (economist.com)
I read this -- and it is a long read -- and I do not know what to think of it.  On the one hand, this is admirable of him to admit that the NYT has a problem, but... the fact that no one else there seems to think it is a problem is a problem in and of itself.  

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam under federal investigation over potentially illegal payments to Pilot executives: Report - cleveland.com
I got a kick out of this one; I mean, first he gets dragged through the mud over the kickback scheme, then he goes and signs Watson, and now this.  The fact that Warren Buffet is making the accusation adds a certain amount of panache to it... I guess I would say that if Haslam hadn't pulled any of those other shenanigans, I would pay them as much attention as any other claim, but...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home