Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Stuff

Another GOP debate today... interesting, in a way -- not enough to move the needle, but certainly entertaining.  Chris Christie really took it to Vivek, which was good, and amusing, to say the least.  He can take solace in that while he cannot win a race, he can prevent others from doing so.  No Donald, of course, which is a problem, in some ways, but honestly... I do think most GOPers want him to be the nominee; I mean, not saying they love the guy, but you are...content with him and what he stands for.  And people certainly have their choices; any other year, this is a real race.  But now...

I realized something today...namely, that Christmas is 2.5 weeks away, and I should probably put up a tree and get the ornaments and decorations down.  I mean, the weather should be nice this weekend, so even if I do not put up the tree, I can at least get into the attic with relative comfort and get the stuff.  I could buy a tree, of course -- last year's selection was fine but a bit limited.  Also I can start on the family Xmas list, as there are some things that can be ordered online.  Funny how the holiday comes together every year.

Saw the testing lab at work today, which was quite interesting; all of the stuff they test for -- temperature extremes, mileage, speed, maximum operating conditions.  I mean, I know they test for everything, but to see how it is done and the types of scenarios we look for... I should feel safer flying, but... I think we all know I will not.

I tried to watch some shows on PBS/Ideastream, and a lot of them, I waited too long, and I am paywalled out.  I watched the one about Mitch McConnell and the Court, which was quite interesting; didn't know Roger Ailes was the one who helped him win his first election, for example.  But the rest... on the one hand, it would be $5 a month to subscribe, and you can watch anything.  On the other hand... I already pay taxes for this, so... why pay twice for stuff?  Oi!  Also watched "The Friends of Eddie Coyle," a 70s sort-of film noir starring Robert Mitchum and Peter Boyle, as well as a bunch of character actors I was able to recognize.  Interesting film...I liked it, sort of gritty, even if you could figure out the plot.

Inflation in the US isn’t the issue. High prices are here to stay. - Vox
I think the prices are the issue; people expect wages to go up every year -- you get a raise in December -- but prices were fairly stable until 2021, and they are still pretty high now.  That troubles people immensely.

Metal debris in road flattens tires of nearly half dozen cars in Westlake (news5cleveland.com)
I drove by this this morning -- literally happened in front of me!  I was in the left lane, going 70, and for once I was glad I did...felt very East Side today, seeing some idiot cause traffic crises.  Still scary, as people were ttrying to avoid catastrophe and in turn were switching lanes suddenly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home