Saturday, April 20, 2024

Unexpectedness

Good day today, nicely helped by the fact that the plans I had originally made -- a fundraiser -- were cancelled due to an outbreak of COVID.  Odd; years ago this would have been a somber time, but now...well, the event could have gone on, but it was decided that due to the fact that half of the people had been in contact with those laid up...discretion is the better part of valor.  Also:  either everyone is vaccinated or the symptoms are mild, because no one seemed to be....worried about it.  This is good -- it's not a killer -- but it still is causing issues.

I went for the echeck today, and... it is much less of a pain in the rear nowadays.  I remember when you first went it took 10 minutes or so; they revved the car, took all sorts of measurements, etc.  Quite annoying and many were convinced this was not good for the car.  Now... well, for one, they have self-serve kiosks, which I figured would not be suitable for my older truck, so I went in line.  Which, of course, was empty.  And... very fast.  You have to start the truck again to make sure there are no check engine lights, the very polite tech ran a few tests, and...that was that.  I passed -- phew -- but I wonder what they are not looking for now.  Unless, of course, we have solved the issue of vehicular air pollution.

Ministry Fair at church this weekend, and since the schedule was now open, I arrived for the post-5 PM Mass fest.  Not many people there -- the general assumption being that the Cavs game kept the crowd down.  Let's hope tomorrow goes better and there are some people who are interested... I think I have surrendered myself to the reality that there is no successor on the horizon, but...with a few more volunteers (and I should be asking for them!) we could more things in the area, or make some adjustments at the OC.

Farewell, Voyager 1 | The Spectator
It is a sad thing if this is the end, but these craft have had incredible runs!

The Duke Blue Devils Roster Is In Shambles After Numerous Key Departures (outkick.com)
Seven players have left the program...seven!  While the draft decisions were not unexpected...well, five transfers is quite a bit.  While I think Power would have benefitted from sticking around, he would also have benefitted from more PT.  Mitchell and Stewart will be missed for their size and toughness.  While I have no doubt that there is a solid recruiting class, and that Duke is an equally desirable destination for transfers, the whole thing is...jarring.  I guess I (and many others) viewed Duke as a place once aspired to transfer to and not simply move away from for reasons... I can see why a lot of the more older coaches have decided it was time to hang up their whistles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home