Sunday, April 14, 2024

Turbulence

Friday at dinner we were discussing the possibility of World War 3; the very premise of this surprised me, for many reasons, but in the context of the Middle East, I said that I thought that Iran would not do much of anything, as they were selling oil to the Russians and Chinese at $80 a barrel, and that was more important to them than political points.  In other words, there would be a gesture and something, but that would be it.  They, of course, proceed to prove me wrong by shooting 300 missiles at Israel.  Now, given that it seems they were intercepted with minimal damage... could my theory be correct?  I guess maybe, provided there is no further shooting on either side; which, for reasons, is doubtful.  Quite frankly, the Israelis would show incredible restraint if they did not; but as they are fighting one war now, I can see how they would not want to fight another...now.  

Finished book 11 yesterday, Those Turbulent Sons of Freedom, about Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.  One thing the author stresses -- about half the book -- is how close they were to siding with the British multiple times during the war.  There is an argument to be made that they were playing both sides and -- more seriously -- that they wanted economic security (i.e., recognition of their land claims -- there was no Vermont the time, and many of surrounding colonies claimed the land) and it didn't matter who granted it.  But... it was something of an open secret that there was something questionable afoot, and one wonders why no one sought to reveal this; perhaps the war ended at the right time and it was simply easier to conceal it?   Book 12 is much longer, so... alas.

I made salmon today and -- if I can humblebrag -- I cooked it perfectly; just the right level of firmness, the proper seasoning (both blend and quantities), and even a suitable side of green beans.  I have been weighing in at 182 pounds, and with some good workouts and extended times on the treadmill, I feel that my body -- with the birthday impending -- is doing as well as can be expected.  That said, healthy eating and a generous dose of high-protein food is just what the MD ordered to build muscles and maybe burn another pound or so.  Let us just say that it was a rare day in which I impressed even myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home