Sunday, April 07, 2024

Firing Line

I realized today that it is two months to my birthday, which, as you can imagine, depressed me immensely.  I mean, my life is half over, and... oi.  And, sad to say, it is the best half that has passed.  Sigh. At least Mass was quite nice today; Divine Mercy Sunday, where we honor the religious meditations (and fervor) of a Polish nun, so there was some extra meaning in today's service.  At least Mass was done in less than an hour, so the Polish community was not tempted to slash tires.  It was mentioned that we should be using the bell tower as an observation post for tomorrow's eclipse, but we were told that it was well-nigh impossible, as we have it heavily screened to keep out the pigeons.  Alas.  I had some visions of revenue enhancement, but...

Yesterday was an interesting and busy day, met a friend for coffee, hit the gym, ran some errands, then met a friend for lunch at Kumo buffet, which was quite good; my friend picked out as it was better than the one across the street -- fewer health violations, more authentic Asian cuisine, better quality overall.  And it was quite good -- three plates and dessert, which was not exactly good for the waistline.  Then home for a bit and finally another party for a friend's birthday.  Interesting -- they converted half of their garage into a party crib, with a TV, fridge, tables, couches, etc.; I sort of liked the idea, should do it for myself.  A firepit on the driveway -- a perfect touch, as it was just cool enough that you wanted one, but not so cold that you could not survive without it.

The women's national championship was... mostly good?  Iowa seemed to be on fire at first, but the game turned slightly in the second and then South Carolina -- using its size and physicality -- pulled ahead.  You know, I think Clark... had a good game, but she does commit some inopportune turnovers.  I realize, of course, that they would be nowhere without her, but...at times it was glaring.  

Who should pay for Ozempic? The people who got us into this mess. (slate.com)
Interesting.  I am of both camps; on the one hand, this is a popular take, but on the other, I find it odd that -- as always -- that we are always shedding the concept of personal responsibility.  Yes, Big Food makes unhealthy food, but if we know it is unhealthy, and eat it anyways...

I Tivo'ed the PBS American Masters episode about William F. Buckley, and it is interesting; certainly didn't fail to address his unpleasant take on Civil Rights (as expected) but -- and I know this must have killed them -- but they do address the nascent Trumpism, such as his run for the mayor of New York, the sense of law and order, and how he personified away from the Bush/Romney school to this new and... different approach.  I am fascinated by this, but there is no small part of me that wonders how they found anyone at PBS to do it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home