Friday, March 29, 2024

An Exceptionally Good Friday

 Yesterday I didn't blog...odd.  Felt meh yesterday.  Not sure; could have been the spiritual experience of the Holy Thursday Mass, which was... quite nice.  Our new Indian priest said it, and for all the pssspss about him, he was... quite nice.  His accent was there, but he was quite more understandable than some of the Polish priests we have had.  Homily was a bit long, which is odd, because.. well, the service is long.  Foot washing is back -- I avoided it -- but did have EM duty, which was interesting -- new faces as ALL Masses were there.  But it went well, and I liked sitting in the normal place, watching the people take apart the altar and then the procession to the side altar to "hide" the Blessed Sacrament.  Today I went to noon Stations, and it was quite full -- 50 or so, including some of the Polish community (Polish Stations are at two!).  

One odd thing...on the one hand, I am not a fan of the general coffee-klatching after Mass/Stations, especially as it is Holy Week.  On the other hand... plenty of people don't see each other that often, we have tourists (I was talking to someone from New Philly this afternoon), and I think if conversations are being quiet, brief, and (if possible) in the back...it's ok.  And, given the older age of the people...well, quiet is aspirational.  I don't know how I fully feel or how to fix it... it was a bit loud in front, but on the other hand, some of it was people explaining stuff, and that is... fine?  As I often say, if there is one thing we do well at the Shrine, it is... church.

They added sweet corn hush puppies at Holy Name this week, and... wow.  Impressive!  $4 for 9, not a bad deal.  The place was packed -- not many parishes are open -- and those who got the puppies... well, I was doing some math.  If they can make 200 servings, and make $2 each, that's $400, and seven Fridays... well, that's a collection there, and nothing to sneeze at.  I hope it is on the menu again next year, and not just once... and, of course, the guys there are working their way back to sobriety...

After a killer workout, it was home to make kielbasa (but not eat it, not exactly good planning) and boil eggs (I forgot to get the Easter basket out of the attic) and then...watching that scrappy team of underdogs -- Duke -- against Houston.  I was worried -- Houston is more of a physical team -- and at first I thought they would get blown out.  There were too many turnovers, of course -- thank God Houston can't make FTs -- but they rallied.  They played tight defense.  They broke down the Cougar defense -- ball rotation -- and, aided by a key injury, came back...and held on.  I thought they would blow it, but...phew.  Not that the next game is any easier...

America's Political Realignment Is Real (freebeacon.com)
Yes?  Maybe?  I think I would say not so fast, and not so much, but...

Hushed Limbaugh - Taki's Magazine (takimag.com)
Interesting.  I wasn't sure what to think at first, but... I think this guy gets it right.  Also... Rush was funny; how often would you turn on the radio and get some gasbag.   I think a lot of GOPers sounded like William F. Buckley, which is fine, but not all the time, especially when you are working and such.  People need a break from the serious, and Rush could do that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home