Friday, March 22, 2024

Survive and Advance

 Two days without posting... well, Wednesday I was tired and just crashed, and then yesterday... busy day, meeting, and, of course, March Madness!  Someone was able to put the Oakland game on their tablet so those of us who are fans could crowd around, and -- as a Duke fan -- I was very sad to see UK lose.  The fact that Oakland was led by a transfer from Hillsdale -- America's other Christ-centered program -- was wonderful.  And, Yale beat Auburn.  The SEC is not having a good tourney, so Greg Sankey will call for the elimination of all mid-majors.  I mean, I guess he is doing his job, and that's fine, but at the end of the day, while people can talk... no one should listen to the guy.  

More fortunately, Duke won today, in a game that went largely how I thought it would; Vermont is a good, deep, veteran mid-major, and they played well.  Duke had a few too many turnovers and missed too many FTs for me, but... it appeared that the plan was to double Filipowski -- wise -- but to me he played extremely well without scoring; excelling passing, good defense, and kept them reacting to his moves.  The rest of the boys picked up the slack, but... the next game will be more of a challenge.

Only 27 Boston Markets Are Still Standing (thetakeout.com)
Dare I say this is sad?  Mom and I used to go there... well, sort of often; it was good but a bit pricey.  I think the Net has it right; before the grocery stores could offer a rotisserie chicken, Boston Market was the only place to get it -- either whole or not -- and I loved their sides.  Bit it was pricey, and the food dropped off a bit, and we began to go elsewhere.  I haven't been to one since Mom died, and I cannot imagine what one would cost now.  I sort of want to drive by the one at Ridge Park to see if it is open (the Net says no).  

Also sad:  Fridrich's Bicycle Shop is closing; after the Fleet Bike News... I took Mom there a few times to get her rollator walker fixed -- the brakes on them are like a bike -- and while it wasn't hard, you had to get there when they opened so they could fix it on site.  Mom was always fascinated by the area -- a mix of craphole and nice new places -- and the whole who wants to live there bit, but they did fix it...

Inflation at the Grocery Store - A Wealth of Common Sense
Mostly correct; people are paying more for food -- getting less of it -- and people notice it, and I am not sure that at the lower end of the market people are doing better.  Certainly if you make less... your wages won't cover the hikes in food and utility bills.  (Not everyone is as cheap as me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home