Friday, July 19, 2024

A Grander, Not-So-Old Party?

 Let us reflect upon the irony of me --yet again -- not being able to sleep, even though I slightly tired.  I should, I guess, just lay in bed, but that won't really achieve anything, so...may as well blog, go through some articles and bookmarks, and be semi-productive, though I only did about half of what I wanted to do.  Alas.  Anyways, lots of changes in the air -- mostly good, I hope.

Odd -- the great internet outage this morning did affect me; we had all sorts of issues with not being able to access network drives (I saved some stuff locally phew) and while other things mostly worked, at times they did not and at times things were a bit slow.  But we survived.  Many of my coworkers are traveling to various shows, and all the flights... well, let's just say that there were disruptions there.  At least I had happy memories of the GOP convention and the prospect of a hopefully small bounce.  I see Senator Wifebeater has announced that Joe should go, and if that isn't a real body slam to his re-election hopes...  I mean, one would think he would have to go at some point, but maybe not, and if he doesn't think he has to... well, long may this continue.  I suspect the departure is being timed closer to the election, as it will be a bigger bounce, and less time for pesky questions.  Hopefully we can withstand it.

Mike Johnson Tempers Expectations About What a New GOP Majority Can Actually Achieve - NOTUS (Allbritton Journalism Institute)
At RNC, Mike Johnson goes from little-known backbencher to VIP (usatoday.com)
I highlight these because no one seemed to think much of the guy when he was voted in as Speaker, and here we are; he has survived the Liz Truss test, if you will, and if (a big one) we have a good year, he will be Speaker in the next term, with a hopefully larger majority.  I am not sure which traditionally GOP things he will do, though I am sure some will try, and with the Donald, you never know which may succeed.  I wonder if who and what he is has boosted his stock with the GOP conference -- a man of faith, an honest one, humble, liked by all types in the caucus -- all of these things might just help.

I Thought I Understood the GOP. I Was Wrong. (msn.com)
I guess I get a kick out of these things, as they are journalists, and aren't they supposed to be reporting on this and picking things up?  I mean, I think we know the answer here, but I just wish that one time someone would call them out about it.  Alas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home