Sunday, July 21, 2024

The Decision

 Well, that was unexpected, sort of.  I guess I had wanted Joe to hang on as long as possible -- ideally until November, but Dems -- stupid as they are -- are not that stupid, and hence it is now Kamala's turn.  I think it is good and bad for us.  Bad in that the party seems to be rallying on her -- donations are up, the rivals are backing her campaign, and it seems that no one is really fighting this.  On the other hand, she is vulnerable to the same attacks as Biden, and the management of the border and the concealment of his mental decline are also fruitful attacks.  I am looking forward to a Trump Harris debate, though I think she will be more polished and on-point.  I think Whitmer is the VP as they need to preserve the blue wall, IMHO.

Interesting day; the usual Mass and gym, and then off to St. Sava's for their SerbFest, as I have always wanted to try it and saw they had chicken paprikash on the menu.  It was good -- not quite $25 good -- and interesting.  They do not have a rich, creamy paprikash; more of a spiced broth, and you get a let and a breast, basically.  It was good but different.  I also got a meat pie -- not bad but hard to cut with the phylo -- and some cabbage and noodles, done in the proper Eastern European way with crisp cabbage.  Lots of interesting and homemade bakery -- I should have picked some up -- but I wanted to see the inside of the church.  It is nice, not St. Stan's nice of course.  The artwork was interesting; the Bible stories I could tell, but as the writing is Cyrillic, I had no idea who the saints were or anything like that.  Funny; our parish has a handy, portable, 4-page guide to the art of the church.  They had a posterboard with less detail, and since it was the only guide they had, I picked it up and took it with me as I meandered about the place.  I could tell the docent types were a little put off by this, but as I was the only one and obviously reverent and curious, they let it slide.  Might go back, might not.  But, as I always say, the nice about our city is all the ethnic fests, so... Though, I was glad to make some nice healthy salmon for dinner.

The Folly of Certainty (oaktreecapital.com)
Interesting!

Escape From the Box - The American Prospect
This is messed up, and considering how many people buy cars in a year... well, again, this is something for a state to handle, and I would think someone could make a name for themselves by cracking down on -- even if imperfectly, and in fits and starts -- and eliminating these practices.  I know, crazy talk!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home