Monday, July 08, 2013

Tell me no lies


 
On a day when Eliot Spitzer announces his candidacy -- the idea of someone paying $5K for a call girl as money watchdog notwithstanding -- and Anthony Weiner running amok, this is simply rich.  To be sure, they are Hope and Changers, so it's not like we're dealing with a group of people who have any sort of experience with honesty and integrity, but...well, what else did you expect?
 
I finished up Taste of War and have moved on to Nabokov's Pale Fire, which...well, I am in the canto section, and it is just ok.  There are some turns of phrase which I like, but as always, it is fiction, and I just cannot get that excited about it.  It does read fairly smoothly, which is sort of nice, and I am getting most of it (I think), but I am not exactly sure I will be poring through the rest of his metier anytime soon.
 
On to more important news, Vinnie Pestano is now the Tribe's sixth inning guy, with Smith moving up and Allen taking the seventh.  This is...well, I see two problems with this.  First, Smith is effective against righties, but Mr. Sidearm is going to get drilled by lefties (which we have seen).  Two...I know managers LOVE the idea of everyone having a set role in the bullpen, but I would argue that NOW, with everyone in the 'pen struggling, it is exactly the time to simply say "your job is to pitch" and whoever gets outs gets to keep pitching in high-leverage roles.  I would argue that Hagadone should be recalled as soon as possible just to spare us the indignity of Rich Hill pitching, but right now, everyone should be worried about the one-way trip to Columbus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home