Tuesday, October 28, 2014

up and at them

Well...I woke up at 5:22 -- after a night of my usual sleep -- and since I don't want to leave for work quite yet, I may as well blog.  Things are ok..work will be hectic, I have a cold, and my usual rest patterns apply...on the other hand, baseball will eventually end soon, and then I will have more time for sleep (and films; there has been up uptick in that lately). 

I have been reading with intensity Nevins' second volume in his series; this one deals with the Pierce Administration and its blundering approach to things, but one that struck me was the callous and incautious way that Douglas repealed the Missouri Compromise; in a lot of ways that was the spark that caused the Civil War, as it brought slavery -- and its spread -- to the forefront of the issue; it also made men like Lincoln -- who felt that the "Negroes" were inferior to whites, but men (and not property) nonetheless -- into the public more, and while their views were certainly Radical (hence the phrase)...well, the threat of Slave Power and its need to be checked, if you will, a bit more...palatable.  I did read the first in Powell's series, and...well, it was awesome, if you get my drift.

Could be the last nice days of the year...threats of snow Friday night are making everyone a little paranoid, if you ask me.  Not that East Siders will magically drive any better...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home