Friday, January 13, 2017

Notes

On the one hand, I feel like an old person; on the other, something to be said for being home...you get to catch up on things (movies, emails, etc.) and whatnot.  Watched two shorts between yesterday and today -- "Notes on the Port of St. Francis" (about San Francisco, narrated by Vincent Price) and "Men and Dust," concerning the lives and deaths of miners in 1940...funny; I've watched "Harlan County" and it didn't seem that much had been changed between the two.  OK, not funny, but sad...

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-13/your-local-mall-is-dying-unless-you-are-rich

I think this is sort of true; also, communities don't want to admit defeat and tear them down, and, perhaps worse, re-zone the land into residential...I know I am beating the horse here, but putting up nice apartments and condos -- even around here -- would ensure that they get filled, and while the revenue generated from them wouldn't match a commercial unit...I wonder, with the property taxes and all, if it just wouldn't be better; I mean, cities get taxes from people who and live there, and I suspect having 200 people in and near other retail spots would be a stimulus in and of itself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home