Thursday, December 21, 2017

Links

Funny; my Mom was complaining about Duke beating the living snot out of Evansville, scheduling such a team, yadda, yadda...  and then Wofford goes and beats UNC at the Deandome... I joked at work that the Wofford coach should have gone to the locker room and told UNC what a good team they were...

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/20/16797400/why-wont-matt-damon-stop-talking-sexual-harassment
This amused me -- for one, all I could think while reading it was the Matt Damon character from "Team America:  World Police" which seems appropriate now.  Given the large number of Hollywood and media types who grope/molest women, I am not sure that it isn't a bad idea to reward the ones who don't -- Hollywood loves awards shows, you know!

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/18/16635910/opioid-epidemic-lessons
For one, you'd think liberals would love it; all these people paying into Social Security and not getting it sounds like a way to extend it.  :)  More to the point... this could be me, but...if you really think you're going to improve your life by shooting up with heroin, you really deserve whatever comes your way...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/12/conservatism-is-what-conservatives-think-say-and-do/548738/

I'm not sure I agree with this; for one thing, in most cases, I would say, people make these voting booth compromises all the time; I mean, much like Catholics Come Home, so do Ds and Rs, because, well, the alternatives, as my father would say, are worse and worser.  I certainly do not denigrate my fellow GOPers who didn't vote for Trump, because, well, it was a mouthful of cock for me at times, too.  But... anyone who says HRC would have been a better choice is a giant bag of dicks, to put it mildly...  I am not happy with a lot of what has been done, but I am pleased with a bunch of things.  But Cooke is right in denigrating Rubin and others who object to Trump because Trump....  It seems to be common these days... but...let's face it, GOP voters chose Trump because he articulated GOP positions and, dare I say, enacted them?  GOP voters don't like immigration; Trump has worked to cut it.  Tax cuts that hose liberals?  Done.  

Hell -- and this is something we discussed at work today -- that while a lot of what is going on, economically, is the fruits of Obama... business confidence is sky high, homes are being built, and the stock market and my 401k...  this didn't happen because of shits and giggles; a lot of this has come from Trump, and I think -- as evinced by holiday bonuses -- that eventually the economy be an asset to GOP voters.  Will it be enough to affect the 2018 elections... I don't know; I wonder if the infrastructure bill will do so as it will placate the Trump blue-collar constituencies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home