Thursday, November 30, 2017

Unmoored

Very sleepy...not really resting well, work is the usual, other stresses...and you can feel it.  Alas.  Here I am now...

Anyways, up to 592 on the film list.  Watched "Black and Tan," a short from 1929 (starring Duke Ellington) today -- interesting, a bit maudlin, but it was 1929.  I also watched "Wuthering Heights," which was...well, I was not a fan of the book, and really didn't like this one, either, even though they cut the story off at the death of Catherine, which at least solved the problem of its length.  I will admit it was well done, and the acting was first-rate...

The 40-man machinations are interesting; not sure Brandon Barnes is the answer; I do like the pitchers today that were added, not that anyone is really going to replace Shaw, but someone like Neil Ramirez could move into the McAllister role (he moves up, oi) or be another Dan Otero -- they have been successful at finding back-end relief, the front office, and that is not a bad skill to have..

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/16/11684776/elizabeth-warren-pocahontas

One reason, I think, that Trump does is because...well, a certain bunch of GOPers do not think the party fights back enough (the Franken and Conyers thing are an opportunity, for instance) and this is one case -- against a leading light, to boot -- where he is attacking... and the base, while they may like the guy, they do like him when he does this...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/27/16678584/bill-clinton-sexual-misconduct-liberals

What?  I prefer hypocrisy as the reason, myself...

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-29/keep-churches-tax-break-with-strings-attached

I think this is largely correct, but her first footnote -- see my previous comment -- is what I think inflames a certain bunch on the GOP side (I am not saying the racist fringe, though it does; I think it is more the people in the 52/48 communities who have trouble winning elections as it is) is one reason why this is a problem; everyone knows the role the church plays in boosting African-American turnout, and the rules are seldom enforced against them...  like it or not, they should be... so if the rules are not to be enforced, then take advantage of them, and thus derive your own advantages...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home