Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Links are just easier...

Watched "Tevye" last nite (582), an interesting film, albeit one that is not quite my cup of tea... I did get the significance of it, being entirely in Yiddish and the time in which it was made...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/opinion/communism-rose-colored-glasses.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fopinion-columnists&action=click&contentCollection=columnists&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0&referer=https://www.nytimes.com/section/opinion/columnists

My own thought here is that they are liberals and don't know better, or have any morals and values, but that is me...

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/30/kelly-civil-war-robert-lee-244353

This amused me somewhat, mainly because...well, the man is not wrong; not politically correct, of course, but...  state being more important than country in 1860?  Yes, I would say that is largely correct, or at least so for many in the South.  Lee a man of honor...well, maybe; I mean, I wonder if the general is speaking on the military side, where the man was a genius... I suspect, of course, he means that such things as at the end of the war, when Lee pooh-poohed any idea of guerrilla war and went home; certainly, this affected a lot of men at the time...  The compromise thing I especially get a kick out of; I mean, we had the Compromise of 1820, which put off, well, the decisions of later; the Compromise of 1850, which put off war; hell, we had in 1860 the Crittenden Compromise, which was a series of amendments/laws that were a last attempt to put off war...  I don;t know, I guess I am influenced by the Fehrenbacher essay in the companion book to the Civil War thing by Ken Burns; war came in part because people thought that now and only now could they fight it and win.  I suspect, of course, there were many in the South who realized this was a bad idea, but they were outvoted/outshouted/outmaneuvered, and it sucked to be them.

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2017/10/ohio_state-penn_state_big_ten.html#incart_river_index

I actually agree with this; I think this is something that pisses off, well, many people -- not only has PSU escaped real punishment, but the whole thing has been...well, whitewashed.

For those of you who like to play baseball GM:
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2017/10/cleveland_indians_roster_and_c.html

As for Roberts...let's just say that he was lucky the batter in that sequence was Bregman, and it worked...but if it does go 7....hmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home