Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Matt the Feminist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4964380/Donna-Karan-defends-Harvey-Weinstein-blames-victims.html

This story -- and the subsequent apology -- amuses the absolute fuck out of me.  I mean, I believe in her apology, sort of on the same path of truthiness as "Gee, those strippers really liked us" and "If you like your healthcare you can keep it and you will save $2,500 a year."  I mean, on the one hand, you say something like this... on the other hand, as a feminist, I am appalled -- appalled -- that a woman's independent voice and right to speak her mind are being thrown under the bus.

I guess my point is...why?  Why would she even say this?  I mean, yes, she could be a moron (hell, the evidence right now says yes), but...  I loved her reasons.

1)  Harvey and his wife are wonderful people.  Well, maybe, but...so what?  I don't know, I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who are wonderful people, but I wouldn't put it past them to do shit.  So this doesn't make sense.

2)  Women are asking for it by the way they dress and act. Well, as a feminist, I am appalled that women shouldn't be allowed by dress and act as they see fit.  On the other hand, as a feminist, I am appalled that women should dress and act in a way that is inappropriate.  More seriously, I can see how this would raise a hackle.  I think -- hell, most people do -- that rape and sexual impropriety can happen no matter what a woman is wearing.  So, back to WTF?

I wonder, though, what else she is saying...namely, that it's not just Harvey Weinstein doing this...which is good, in that if more of these are out there, they can be exposed.  (Never mind all of the progressives who sat on this.)  Another thing I wonder is...well, obviously, this has gone on for a while, and if it isn't just Weinstein, why didn't anyone report it until now?  (I sort of wonder if this is what DK is implying, as well...)  My own not-so-sneaking suspicions are:

1) Politics
2)  Everyone else is doing it, so the first report would bring 100 more
3)  Some women went along with it to help their careers.  As a feminist, of course, I am appalled that some women would be forced to do that.  As a feminist, of course, I am also glad that women are able to use their sexuality -- and choose to do so, because it is about choice -- to advance their careers and boost their income and, in turn, break into Hollywood.

In other news...Francona is considering lineup changes...key among them being Edwin.  I don't see it, unless he thinks he can pull a Kirk Gibson a few times, but he also thought that bringing Bauer in on three days' rest was a good idea, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home