Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Amusements

Watching the Tribe, as that decision to have Tomlin as the 4th starter looks even smarter.  We also got treated to yet another Bryan Shaw implosion, which is always fun.  Actually, it reminded me of this:

https://theathletic.com/87755/2017/08/24/the-pariah-of-cleveland-bryan-shaw-says-cleveland-fans-hate-me-but-why-is-he-so-polarizing/

I think, in all balance, that Shaw is an above-average reliever, and we will miss him next year when he goes on to greener pastures; he's durable, he has good stuff, and he is quite effective.  But...go to the end of the post and look at the leverage index.  He is  a different pitcher in high-leverage situations (like the one we just had) and not for the better -- not even close.  I mean, look at the ERA; whoa.  The HR rates, too... I mean, I think this is what drives fans wild -- he does tend to get hit hard in these situations -- and the fact that Francona sends him out there religiously is a concern.  I realize now, of course, who cares, and you have to rest Miller, but the above data indicates that Shaw should be used...less.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/9/25/16345416/roy-moore-alabama-primary

Well, he won by 12 tonight, so...  I actually think some of this is a bit much; I mean, this is Alabama we are talking about, and I'd like to think if there was one place a Ten Commandments guy could win, it is there.  Also, Strange was linked -- fairly or not -- to Bentley and his regime (say what you want about Roy, he isn't tarred with adultery) and that couldn't help.  And, the same stuff that propelled Trump to victory -- us vs. them -- worked there, too.  Can the Dems win the general...possible, but I think not; like it or not, the GOP would rather the seat be red than not, and Moore, like Trump, I think, is getting new voters, and that will keep things...as they should be.  :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/23/technology/silicon-valley-men-backlash-gender-scandals.html

I get a kick out of this; you'd think someone would put together such a company, just not talk about its origins, if you will, and start kicking ass and taking market share and such... I mean, if I could code, and had any sense, there I would be...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home