Friday, October 27, 2017

LInks

I took advantage of yesterday's travel day to cross another one off the list -- "The Women," from 1939.  I liked it, not a lot, but enough...I could clearly see the cultural significance, and if the ending is a little dated, well, so be it...

This could be, but Roberts really shit the bed for himself when he yanked Hill after 4; more seriously, I think this approach is the limit of the strategy of last year's reliever fest.  As I told one of my coworkers, much like you don't want to see Michael Martinez batting in Game 7 of a World Series, you don't want Brandon McCarthy pitching in a tie game in extra innings, either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-27/rise-of-the-creative-class-worked-a-little-too-well

Oh, I don't know; I would think a city would want all of those young professionals in the city, paying high prices for rentals and boosting tax collections.  The failure is in planning for the potential downsides, such as a lack of housing.  I don't know...looking around Cleveland, hell, even in Slavic Village, you see all of the commercial properties that are empty and condemned, or land bank sites... no one can put up apartments?  Even if they are on the line of Cabrini-Green style units, or at least two- and three-floor buildings with 20 or so units..well, that would be something, wouldn't it?  I can;t imagine some SJW type putting up Section 8-friendly units just for the revenue streams.

https://newrepublic.com/article/145504/conservatives-blame-poverty-poor
Speaking as someone who works -- in part -- with the poor...all I can say is that some poor people make bad -- dumb decisions -- and it is blatantly obvious, even to them, and if they can't, or won't see it...well, the fact of the matter is that you are just throwing away scarce resources.  So, yes, people should blame the poor...if they actually deserve it.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/10/26/16533878/race-education-segregation-nikole-hannah-jones
I agree, but I don't think the segregation in the urban cores now is due to, well, Trump-supporting liberals; it's HRC-voting hipsters who want to live among their own kind...so where is their castigation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home