Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Cutting One's Losses

So, I had my appeal for the property taxes today -- a big raise in them was called for and I decided to appeal.  Now, I don't have any great view of a big reduction -- doing them now in the middle of an inflated housing market is a nice touch by the county -- but even a small reduction would be nice.  The process was...quite smooth.  Zoom.  Very brief; I made my points, they made theirs, and that was that.  I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.

Last week I got my last check from Freedonia... so that chapter of my life is officially over.  I had been locked out of the email system about the same time... it's a bit sad, sort of; I did like the people there, and I did learn some things.  Of course, I also wanted to pull my hair out for four years, and my current job is completely NOT like that -- so much so that they tell not to work too much.  The money was nice -- I paid off a bunch of HELOC, though I still have a bunch to go, and, of course, if and when I start the renovations, it will be back.  But it did feel good to throw a 50-yard pass, in contrast to the usual option approach.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/they-re-not-gonna-quit-how-ohio-anti-abortion-activists-shaped-post-roe-america/ar-AA13q1BB?cvid=8e764e19268b4991a5d4a2305174de81

This was a good read -- informative in a lot of ways, how they make the legislative sausage, how they go after legislators (violating the 11th Commandment!).  I don't like that part, but I get their point -- it was NEVER time to do anything about abortion, until, of course, they went and did it.  So kudos to them.  Of course, the victory is not complete -- and it looks a little precarious now -- but things look a hell of a lot better now than, say, last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home