Monday, June 12, 2023

Catastrophes

 I am not really supposed to be awake now, but the low blood sugar alarm went off, so here we are, waiting to see if it is stable (for now).  I was high before -- not sure why, better go over dinner again -- and maybe I took too much insulin to get it down?  I had thought I had used enough, but... obviously not.  Anyways, tonight was Pub Quiz, where Team XI took a well-fought but ultimately futile second, earning absolutely nothing.  The questions were not to my tea, but for those categories that were in the wheelhouse, I did not miss a one, so...phew.

More importantly was that I got my car back.  The last few days I had been hearing a clanking noise anytime I hit a bump or such.  I didn't like it, so I called the auto shop, and lo and behold, the left rear suspension was cracked, and one of the bolts was loose -- I was hearing it hit something.  Cause is age and the crappy weather (and the road salt).  Oh well.  $1300 and change later, the Behemoth is back.  Sigh.  Not fun -- not when the bathroom goal is closer to payoff fruition -- but it is cheaper than a new car.  I was rearranging my budget in my head on the way to the place, and I think I have it planned out.  For now, of course.

Is Kevin McCarthy just really that good at his job?  | The Hill

I wouldn't go that far -- yet -- but to me I think it is a sign that for all of the complaints about the guy -- not very bright, a tool of the Freedom caucus, couldn't govern the house -- he is actually doing something, and playing his hand fairly well.  (One must note that the protest in the House by the tool-mongering rightists ended -- for now -- today and House business will proceed.)  If I was being charitable, I would say he is...Bidenesque in his strengths and weaknesses?  To me, one of the signs of his leadership is that he is letting the various moonbats on the right have their moments, make a few concessions, and then welcome them back to the fold.  To be sure, the leaders on the right have been on his side, but again, a sign of his leadership that they work well (enough) together.  If Jim Jordan wanted him gone, he would be, but... I think Jordan also knows the score as well.  Anyways, I would argue that McCarthy is "holding serve" as best he can until the next Congress is seated.  Either he will have a GOP House, Senate, and President, and all bets are off, or he will have a Dem sweep, and the issue will be moot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home