Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Warriors for the Faith

 Yesterday I did not blog; I didn't sleep in, but once I finished some emails and other stuff, I returned to the business of emptying closets.  I started with the one in the library, which had an interesting mélange of stuff, including gift boxes and bags.  At that point, I realized I needed to go through the closet in the spare room, which also had a much larger quantity of them (and was a real mess).  Anyways... the short answer is both closets are cleaned.  The spare room is quite neat -- mainly gift stuff -- and I found some interesting things, including a set of dishes (Lord knows how they ended up there), a Polish baptismal outfit (not mine), and enough bags and boxes for an eternity of holidays; obviously, I will be giving out more gifts.  The closet in the library is also "empty," sort of; all the crap has been removed, save for the board games.  I found a box with random pieces parts and I realized I would need to go through some of the games to see if they are complete...followed by the realization that I should probably play some of them, not like I have the time, but... the fond memories of my youth.

Anyways, the rest of the day I watched some war movies ("The Dirty Dozen," one of my dad's favorites; "Kelly's Heroes," always good; and "Objective, Burma!," the Errol Flynn one that is...well, amusing now)  and started another project of mine I have been neglecting.  As it turned out (as I expected), it is a bit more engrossing than I expected and I will be lucky to complete it fully this week.  But, in its own way it is worth doing, so I will plug along.  I also opened all of the windows in the house to let in some fresh air and to breeze the place out; it did feel good to do so, I will admit.  Now it is deliciously cool in here, though the nice weather this week will make it less so.  It has been perfect so far, and long may it continue.

Dined with some old friends/former coworkers at Fire 45, the new high-end restaurant in North Royalton.  It is quite big -- they seem to have expanded the space since the last time I was there (in one of its many incantations) and it was good; I had the salmon and it was cooked perfectly.  The side of succotash was ok; I prefer mine a bit creamier, I guess.  Interesting pizzas; I might try one next time if the blood sugar cooperates.

The revolt of the Christian home-schoolers (msn.com)

Interesting read; to me, I think the advantage of the public school is just that -- the public.  One is exposed to so many different people and customs and things that one learns not only the basics (albeit barely) but...well, how to be exposed to different things and to learn and profit from them.  Not saying people shouldn't homeschool, but to me a highly religious one... leaves out some important things.  Of course, one can almost imagine the glee of the WaPo writers over this one.

Bay Village priest faces backlash after he discusses LGBTQ controversy during Sunday sermon - cleveland.com

I don't know...this could be me, but if you can't recognize that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence are... blasphemous and anti-Catholic (if not anti-Christian)...well, you are obviously in need some of remedial catechism.

This Tweet From an MLB Pitcher Is Sure to Make Leftist Sports Media Melt Down (townhall.com)

This is good to see; first there was Kershaw, and now this pitcher, who, I think, provided a low-drama but powerful rejoinder as to why this is a problem.  I would love to see more people speak out against this, and you can imagine that if the Dodgers had a clevelandbaseballteam-style boycott...well, current events would argue that they are not any smarter, but they might be better businesspeople, and take heed.

AOC upset over parody press account cracking up conservative social media | Washington Examiner

I guess this is one downside of NOT being on the socials, I miss regular updates about stuff like this.  I could check using my work account, but I try to steer clear of political stuff and other controversies there; to date, the most political thing I have accessed is the account about the former fox that was running around the grounds of Congress, and I think this wise policy will continue...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home