Thursday, May 18, 2023

Making Plans

 No blogging yesterday, as my plan to go bed slightly after Dr. Pimple Popper was foiled by a friend who came over with a series of unfortunate events, and I had to be the soothing yin to his raging yang.  He didn't leave til 12, long after the point I wanted to give him a raging yang of my own (not that an hour of friend time served as the alternative to blue pills, if you get my drift).  Anyways, today... well, I was busier at work than expected, which led to no gym (an unfortunate but necessity calamity, I guess), so instead I stayed home, had dinner, caught up on the accumulated J! episodes, and also watched "The Commitments," which was... not exactly my usual fare, but it was cute and who doesn't love the music, right?  A friend recommended it, and... I would as well.

I was thinking today -- I haven't made a restaurant visit in a while.  Lots of reasons for this -- my fatness, the money, and my general busy-ness, but next week, when the schedule should be a little more free, I definitely need to go and cross off or one two on the list.  My "food" list is sort of like my book list; stuff gets on it faster than it can be crossed off.  Hell, even my bookmark list is creeping up again.  Anyways, let's report back in two weeks to see what, if anything, I was able to do...

Without requesting emergency funding, Democrats will own the border disaster - Niskanen Center

I was talking with some people about this last weekend, and this was the general consensus of the group (which leaned right, but certainly had some Dems in it) -- they have had three years or so to come up with something to fix this, and the fact that they came up with nothing...well, I suggested that that might have been the plan.  You appeal to the hard left of the party, and the moderates/centrists can pin the blame on the GOP.  Again, it is not a real plan, and you would think the Republicans would be hitting him harder on this.

Understanding the Intersection of Medicaid & Work: A Look at What the Data Say | KFF

Interesting; I would have never thought that 61% of Medicaid recipients were working (43% full time).  And, honestly, I think it SHOULD be higher; at the least, 61% should be full time, with another 20% part time, especially now, given the labor shortages that are affecting the economy in other ways.  I get that yes, some of these people cannot, but if there is one thing I have learned in my food pantry service, is that plenty of these people could work, and probably should, even if it is beyond their capabilities to do so.

The Real Reason Rent Costs Are Sky High: People Left Their Roommates (businessinsider.com)

Interesting; I certainly didn't think about this as a factor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home